SCORCH: Kanawha Co. Combined High School Orchestra
Capital High School
George Washington High School
Herbert Hoover High School
South Charleston High School
SCORCH Excused Absence and Alternate Assignment Request form
(for After-School Rehearsals and Concerts only)
Indicates required field
Capital High - 1st Period
Capital High - 2nd Period
George Washington High
Herbert Hoover High
South Charleston High
Date of Absence
Reason for Absence (be specific)
1. This form must be completely filled out.
2. This form must be given to the director NO LATER than two weeks prior to a concert or one week prior to a required after-school music event (except as
noted in #3).
3. For extreme emergencies this form may be turned in no later than one week after the student returns to school.
4. Alternate assignments are due by the end of the grading period in which the missed concert/music event took place.
5. The director reserves the right to deny requests for alternative assignment, even if the form is completely filled out and submitted on time.
The teacher will choose an appropriate assignment from the list below. Additional assignments may be implemented by the teacher.
• Music Department Service Hours – Minimum of 2 hours helping teacher after school.
• Research Paper – Minimum 1 page, typed (double spaced, no larger than 12 font) or 2 pages handwritten on a musical topic approved by the teacher.
• Music Event Attendance – Musical event must be pre-approved by the teacher. Write a summary/review (same specifications as Research Paper above).
• Essay – Write an essay comparing putting on a music performance to be part of a sports team and how each member’s attendance, effort, behavior, and attitude would affect the entire group in both cases. Minimum 2 pages typed (double spaced, no larger than 12 font) or 4 pages handwritten.
• Presentation to the class – 10 minute presentation to the class on a topic pre-approved by the teacher.
• There are no assignments available at this level. Perhaps music classes are not a good fit for this student. The teacher will contact the student’s counselor and recommend him/her for removal from the class.
Proudly powered by